View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
xX_STI_Xx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 493470
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Direct Injection completely gets rid of the injectors in the runners, and puts them directly in the combustion chamber....resulting in dramatically more carbon build up around the valves. I know this, because my cousin is a Master Tech for Subaru and I have seen several FA motors he has taken apart with much more gunky valves as compared to an EJ motors. I am not saying the FA is a crap platform, I know its a good foundation....but, we can't overlook the negatives of the Direct Injection engines and their long term reliability and driveability. I had a 2008 Lexus IS350 when that had Direct Injection. Toyota was clever enough to give that motor 12 injectors (6 direct injectors and 6 port-runner injectors). This helped with carbon buildup around the valves, but never eliminated it....and to this day people still go in to Lexus for "top end cleaning" because of it. It bothered me so much, I sold the car for that reason. The IS250's were even worse because they only had DI. Like I said, it all depends on your goals for the car. Personally, I would take a non-DI car any day over a DI-car....especially for long term reliability and driveability. It's why the GTR to this day still uses port injection and not DI ;-p

Porsche's have DI and are FAST ASF....yet, take one of those engines apart and you will quickly see why DI isn't as great as people make it out to be.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xX_STI_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote