Member#: 488722
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5rs w/EJ20K
& (now) 3 other GCs

Default FA20DIT Turbo Setup on an EJ!

Sooooo this project, where to start?
....actually wait, I want to start off by saying:
This was an experiment, mainly out of curiosity to see what it would take to make this work. I by no means consider any of the work done here to be "correct" or the "best way" to do this. Think of this more as a super ****ty, somewhat functional proof of concept.

Now that that is out of the way, let me show off the car:

1998 2.5RS Coupe..RWD converted..NA-T..half gutted... I don't know, I paid like $1,500 for it a year or two ago.

Well it was a super fun beater car until the engine decided to lose all the piston rings. Not exactly sure what happened, all I know is it would burn oil like nothing I've ever seen. Plumes of smoke would pour out of the exhaust just going down the road. Has been sitting for about a year since this happened.

So enter the FA20DIT..when I was working at the dealer, I ended up with a complete turbo and manifold setup off of one. Warranty job to replace a snapped stud I believe.
Either way, I had this turbo setup sitting around and was more curious than anything else, to see if I could get it to fit on EJ.

I used a run of the mill USDM EJ205 that I purchased fairly cheap.
(you'll learn why this was a mistake later....)

Initial mockup with late 2.5 oil pan:

Initially it's pretty obvious that it does not simply "fit." This was gonna take some work...

We cut the manifold apart and got to placing the turbo where it needed to be. Used a blown up EJ251 long block that my buddy had sitting around:

From there we extended a few of the runners to get it all to match up again:

You may notice that it ended up slightly unequal, length wise. This wasn't the intention but it was already too late so... we just went with.
I have no idea how this will affect the twin scroll turbo or sound... but this is all an experiment so whatever.

I hit my photo limit already... (see next post!)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AWD BRO is offline   Reply With Quote