*** Banned ***

Member#: 175453
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
AE86 GT-S coupe
i <3 alqonquin homosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4POTS-OF-FURY View Post
Thanks for setting me straight there. I guess you are the real "internet expert", but I'm not the one who broke his trans with just an 18G. And don't even start to tell me about other idiots who have broken theirs with less, because I don't need to hear it again. A trans can break at any time if it has been abused. Learn how to drive your car properly and you won't end up running your mouth and making a fool out of yourself. I know that you are angry about breaking your trans, but it's your fault not the trans. You should listen to those like me who have more than just an 18G and have managed to keep their stock trans intact. If you want some tips on how to keep your next trans in one piece pm me and I'll help you out. That's all there is to say about this, I' done here, good bye.
I'm not trying to doubt you here, but enough people have broken theirs within enough different circumstances and contexts, and with enough variables where it can't just be attributed to not driving it 'correctly'. Keep in mind the transmission is nothing more than a slightly improved version of an old unit made for 80hp FWD cars. The components have gotten stronger over the years, and it has seen the addition of a 5th gear, but it is still a flawed design in terms of what most people expect out of it.

I apologize if I seem to have a problem with your approach, but I doubt you have the answer for every driver and every setup in terms of keeping the stock 5MT alive. A lot of it has to do with the driver, a lot is the rest of the car, a lot is just the differing tolerances in each individual transmission. As for me, no, mine wasn't broken, but I built in it preparation/as preventive maintenance as I knew I would be doing a turbo swap. Could the stock have survived with the new turbo? Maybe. Would I rather have a drivetrain that can handle the power, even if I drive as I want to (and no this doesn't mean flatfooting/clutch dumping)? Absolutely. Plus I got some better (IMO) ratios out of it too.

One way is not always the best way.

And let's not start on the age thing...I've seen plenty of 'grown ups' cause quite a bit of damage due to unintelligent, uninformed, or just plain ignorant driving.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
zeropsi is offline   Reply With Quote