View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

I'm not sure the v4 gears are really any stronger. v5RA are definitely stronger, but I'm not so sure on v4.
I also don't think a <1kg RWD car needs to worry too much about gear strength. It will be spinning tires way before the transmission sees loading associated with an AWD WRX. The gears just won't get near the level of abuse they get in an AWD application, even with a built motor and big turbo they'll get relief from the tires in shock loading situations that they have to eat that shock in AWD application.

I also don't think I would want a 4.44 final on a light RWD car... again spinning tires... light RWD cars with lots of power more often go taller to keep from spinning tires than go shorter. That, of course, is your call though.

I'd trade that tranny to someone who wants a 5 speed DCCD (they're not very common, someone will WANT it, and likely pay extra for a tranny with it). Either a FXT if you want the 4.44 or a WRX if you want the 3.9. Does the v4 tranny have an open front diff? That would be the main concern, though you might be able to sell a DCCD box for enough to be able to get a non-DCCD 5 speed and an OBX diff to swap in.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote