Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Default Re: Redline Water Wetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Snitt
Yes, I already used the search feature.

I used this stuff before in my 2001 Firebird Formula (which I dumped to get my WRX), but I heard that it can freeze up the A/C compressor on the F-bodies. Has anyone had this problem on the WRX at all?
The only way Water Wetter could be related to freezing parts of the HVAC in your car is if you use ONLY water wetter and water with no antifreeze solution. If the water sits in your heater core and you have the thing turned all the way cold, there's no circulation of hot coolant through there and the A/C's super-cold air will eventually freeze the heater core with the non-circulating coolant in it, which will probably cause the heater core to crack open.

The water wetter helps increase the rate of heat transfer between metal parts and your coolant mixture, but it does nothing about freezing point depression or boiling point elevation like antifreeze does.

For track cars you can run pure water + wetter but for street cars, you should use at least 25% antifreeze to provide the necessary lubrication, rust prevention, and freeze-protection.

If you absolutely must run a pure water/water wetter solution with no antifreeze, make sure you never run your A/C (or defroster which uses the A/C) unless you have your heat knob turned up at least a notch or two to allow a small amount of hot coolant to continuously flow through the heater core.

-Nick
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote