Thread: EJ207 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #5061
Ryan2002WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225439

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ View Post

wow that's encouraging.. don't want a 10 year old sea rotted V7 motor (most v7 motors for sale already have all the paint flaking off the intake!) and I don't want ringland problems. I wonder if they're anywhere near as bad as the USDM ringland problems.

I plan on running an assortment of sensors, I hope this is as reliable as im hoping this engine to be. I can't afford to have a car break down and just take a few days off work / school to rebuild the motor.
I wouldn't use my experience though to fully sway your choice. My ver.8 looked immaculate when it shipped. Compression was checked before the motor was put in. Also checked a week before I bought it. These motors are far stronger than US motors in my opinion. From all I've heard it is a bit rare to have a ring land issue with these motors than USDM motors. There are many vendors who supply some great motors. There is a risk no matter what motor you get. There is no guarantee really with any motor you get. I could have driven this car for a very very long time with this issue... it ran great pulled hard, started fine. Only way I caught this is I had a feeling the car wasn't running perfect. We logged the car and found a motor issue. Compression test determined it.

Going forward I am adding all the gauges needed to help monitor this motor. I should of had a wide band but only had the car for two months before discovering the motor issue.

Again people make some great point here about junkyard motors and old motors and things. But please don't let my experience steer you away from any decision you make. Hands down the ej207 is a great motor.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ryan2002WRX is offline   Reply With Quote