shemoves
Scooby Guru

Member#: 80663
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
With M855 it actually depends on the lot and rifle whether or not you get early yaw or late yaw. That's why most Soldiers and Marines have not problems but there are many reports of the round failing to drop bad guys.
I read that a problem is getting the steel penetrator in the exact same spot every time which is leading to the inconsistency...which makes sense.

Quote:
There is no one best option.
This is what I was saying.

Quote:
I don't think mixing ammo is a good idea because it adds a lot of complexity to the equation. The best bet would be to get a good compromise round.
If they both follow the same trajectory and feed reliably, seems like it would work. You'd know better than me though.

Quote:
As far as civilian use goes we have a lot better ammunition to choose from. If you want a good fragmenting load Hornady Tap 55 grn or Federal Tactical 55 grn both have a well earned reputation for putting bad guys down. If you want a little more penetration then the Speer Gold Dot bonded soft point and the Federal Fusion soft point are great options.
I've tried the Gold Dot. I did three 3-shot groups, and a 4-shot group, and had surprisingly large groups with it (well, larger than than the other stuff I tested). The Federal Tactical...isn't that FMJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
You will find that the best bet for a softer target, say for home protection a good quality 55gr hp like the ones c grunt said are impossible to beat at close ranges
Why a 55 grain over a heavier round?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote