jase858
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57041
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseisbeast View Post
*cough cough* maybe you should or shouldn't *cough* find a sketchy smog shop who may or may not *cough* pass you for some extra cash *cough*

I DO NOT CONDONE ILLEGAL SMOG but I'm just saying it does happen, and it's probably cheaper and a LOT less work than de-modding/re-modding
One of the crappy things (among many) living in CA, is that certain makes and models of vehicles that typically are "modded" must go to a STAR certified smog station, which means the shops are closely monitored and adhere to the CA BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repairs).

The last time I smogged my 05 STi, I failed several times. 1) because I didnt have the CARB sticker for COBB intake, and 2) for CEL which turned out to be because I kept my TurboXS downpipe and midpipe on. When I swapped the stock components back in, I passed.

When I failed for the CARB sticker, I thought for sure I would fail the visual for the aftermarket turbo (Blouch 18G), radiator (Mishimoto) and TGV Deletes, but I don't think the tech really was looking at those. I also thought (because my exhaust smelled rich) that I would fail after I put my stock exhaust back on, but nope...i passed.

I think as long as your stock exhaust components are on and your tune is factory, you should be fine. I bought a OBD II reader tho just to be on the safe side to ensure I cleared all my CELs.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jase858 is offline   Reply With Quote