View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
ActionJack-san
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437177
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Lightbulb

Based upon polls here about 50% off the early FB motors burn too much oil. Supposedly the problems have been ironed out by now but I can't say for sure. To be safe, avoid used Subarus from 2010 until about 2014 or 2015 or so. You can't detect oil consumption until you've already put the ring on the finger and said, "I Do".

If thinking of a new Subaru, you'd be well advised to stay away from first-year models. Which means no new 2017 regular Impreza. Subaru is not Toyota and they don't have the sheer sales volume to finance handling a lot of problems when they come up at once. They tend to kick the can down the road a bit.

Your most reliable car, with the least problems, will be close to the last year of the model run. The WRX will keep its form until 2020 or so, so you might want to go that route.

The motor itself is nice, I have had no issues across 21,000+ miles so far. A timing chain vs. a timing belt is a huge plus, no expensive timing belt change operations every 60,000 miles or so. The newer Subarus use Super-Long Life Coolant, so no need to flush it until after 100,000 miles. The CVT fluid apparently stays in there for the life of the unit, unless a dealer tech notices issues which necessitate changing it, due to hard driving or towing.

Other than that, that's about all there is to say about it. YMMV. Good luck!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ActionJack-san is offline   Reply With Quote