View Single Post
Old 12-13-2001, 09:28 AM   #11
Dons Soobie Doo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12964
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sportwagon
platinum silver

After listening very carefully this is what I think....after starting the engine cold, the car will "idle" at around 1200 r.p.m. for about 2 minutes then drop down to around 750 r.p.m. What I hear is a metallic "tap" (I referred to the noise as a "knock" or a loud "tick") but am not sure of the origin. When I've got my head under the hood, I can barely here it but inside the car you hear it distinctly. From about 750 r.p.m. to about 1200 r.p.m....the frequency of the tapping increases with r.p.m. Above 1200 r.p.m. I don't notice it as much....not sure if the noise is gone or other mechanical noise drowns the tapping noise out. Once the engine is completely warm, the noise is virtually gone. I've put a long screwdriver on the valve covers, fuel injectors, front timing belt cover and other things to see if I can isolate the noise. It doesn't seem to be coming from those areas. Someone mentioned it could be AC lines hitting somewhere near the firewall...I've checked underneath the vehicle and can't see anything hitting. Is this noise normal? Does anyone else have any ideas of where this tapping noise eminates from? Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dons Soobie Doo is offline   Reply With Quote