Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by progonat View Post
I am planing on pulling the pan and inspecting the rod bearings.
Not gonna work. You can't get to the rod bearings without pulling the engine apart. Here are a couple of pictures that show the problem. (That's an EZ30 6-cyl, but the EJ25s are essentially the same.)

Quote:
How can I put some torque on the crankshaft?

I am afraid to use the crankshaft bolt and put a beaker bar on it.
Your best bet is to do exactly that. The crankshaft bolt it pretty big - unless you're putting stupid amounts of torque on it, you're not going to break it. (There are plenty of stories of folks using monster breaker bars to break the crank pulley bolt lose, as it tends to tighten up over time.)

Quote:
If this engine can't be salvaged what could be my options?

Is there any other models that would fit this car or do I have to stay with 06 Outback engines only?

How about replacing the engine block only? Any suggestions? Sources where to get one?

Thanks guys.
Subaru has been using the EJ25 in everything for years, so there are plenty of swap options - Forester, Legacy, Outback and Impreza all use the EJ25.

2006 was the first year with the i-AVLS system on the N/A Outbacks and Legacys; the Impreza (and maybe Forester, too?) got that engine in 2005. I would say the 2005-2007 engines are all the same (or close enough for government work), and maybe even a couple/few years after 2007, too. Whether you'll be able to find a complete engine in your price range just depends on your searching skills. Check ebay, car-part.com, craigslist, etc.

You could conceivably find just a short block and re-use your existing heads. Of course, you'd want to get them thoroughly cleaned up, as whatever seized the motor may have contaminated the oiling system that was feeding the heads/cams.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote