View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
MikeC5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 104702
Vehicle:
95 Legacy
Green

Default Gearing Options for MT 2002 Outback?

I have a stock '02 Outback (NA 2.5 motor) that I really like with one exception; the (5 speed) tranny and differential gearing result in unnecessarily high revs when highway cruising (about 3200 rpm at 65 mph, if I can believe the gauges). We also have a '02 and '03 Forester with 4EAT and they are something like 500 rpm lower at same indicated speed. As much as I'd like to swap in a 6 speed, the threads I searched through make it fairly clear this wouldn't be a simple tranny swap - at minimum it appears driveshaft, front axles and maybe struts would have to be sourced too. While I'm not afraid to tackle something like this from a wrenching standpoint (it would be fun!), it would be prohibitively expensive I'm sure.

So another option might be to change the differential gearing. Can anyone tell me if a 5 speed Forester of correct vintage were sourced what besides the transmission (the whole enchilada) and rear diff would be needed? This assumes the Forester is geared differently than the Outback but maybe it's only a difference between MT and 4EAT vehicles?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MikeC5 is offline   Reply With Quote