Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerazorsharp View Post
I've been shopping for suspension upgrade for my 2010 STI, and in all my research I've refined the list down to a couple choices. I know there is a ton of material between Nasioc and IWSTI, but guess I'd like to get some opinions directed at my situation... Plus RCE Myles is out of town

First off, I'm in MN - snow is hellish here, especially this last one with 155 days of snow. I'm not interested in swapping out suspensions for winter vs summer and paying for alignment. I'm also not interested in slamming the car or trying to alter the original geometry where I need roll center and camber kits. Road noise does not bother me - But Clunks, rattles, creaks, etc for some improved handling is not the sacrifice I'm looking to make

Here are my list of options:
1) H&R Coilovers - Perrin has these listed at 1170, they have lifetime warranty/guarantee, they utilize mono-tube Bilstein dampers, and as far as I can tell have stainless damper housings to resist corrosion (could be wrong). I've also read some really good reviews about quality and performance. Downside is... in order to stay in spec of damper travel the drop is at least 1.3f 1.2r. that, to me, is pushing it in terms of low. I already look like a snowplow during winter, what is 1.3in going to do? Plus, throw in that the front bumper sticks out about a 1/2 mile of the front wheels and I've got an image of me tippy toe driving in and out of any entrance/driveway...I guess I already have to anyway lol

2) GTWORX Bilstein + yellow - I've heard great things....however, it's sounding like MAYBE August they'll have more and I have to pre-order now.... Fall drives are amazing in MN, but that really leaves little time to enjoy my 1,350 investment. I've had a set of Bilstein sports before with springs and they were fantastic, but does anyone know if this set is going to have the lifetime guarantee since they are revalved by GTWORX?

3) just springs - I've never really liked this idea. I know a lot of people dyno test the setups on stock dampers, but I feel it's not just the springs that I take issue with in the current handling.

I guess I'm not really the cut corners person - but I'm also not finding 2k + KW's as realistic either....I wish I could, but 2k could also buy me a trip out Heli skiing.. Will I track the car? possibly.. BIR is not far. Since I come from an Audi/VW background, I already get flamed for going to an STI, especially pre-revisions (2011).... I guess It's just annoying that my car works up a stink for 1/2 the things an OEM B6 S4 does drama free while having coffee.

As an FYI - I've already done 25mm F/22mm R + endlink and Michelin Pilot SS... Still not satisfied.

leave it stock or raise it an inch and be far better off
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote