Old 10-23-2001, 02:08 PM   #15
doorman907
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Obsidian Black Pearl

Well, let me try to explain. First I am not going to flame you for asking this or try to tell you that Firebirds and Mustangs or pieces of *****. My brother is a big time muscle car lover. His saying is there is no replacement for displacement. But a big engine doesn't make a car fast, or necessarily give it more potential. Let me give you some examples.

V8 versus flat 4

-V8 weights a ton more than flat 4
-Flat 4 has a lower center of gravity making the car more balanced (hence one major reason porsche has used flat 6's in their 911's for years)
-Depending on the V8 (Firebird, Camaro) use push rod engines, which are outdated technology and are less efficient

Camaro Versus WRX

-You said why buy a car with a flat 4 with so low potential, then I ask you why buy a sports car that weights 500lbs more? Weight to many racers is just as important, if not more important than horsepower. Weight effects braking, cornering, acceleration, and fuel economy for a car; all extremely important aspects of road or dirt (rally) racing.
-Consumer reports rates the Corvette, Camaro, and Firebird and three of the worst cars for reliability and warranty issues. Yet Subaru is rated as one of the most reliable cars on the market. Reliability tends to be important if you want to finish the race.

I work for a automotive supplier designing seals and gaskets. We supply parts to every auto maker. The level of testing and technology that the German and Japanese makers require of us is years ahead of what the US makers require.

One of GM's big engine designers, who I work with, came out to see my car at work. He knows much more about engines and design than I do. His only comment after looking under my hood for about 15 minutes was "The engineering put into this engine shows one reason why the American car companies are losing their market share."

I love all sports cars and appreciate all of them for their own unique reasons and anyone who loves cars and likes to modify them is cool in my book. There are just many different ways of going about it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.