Old 08-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
cueauto
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114715
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
96 H6 Impreza L Cp
#84 EM

After how long it took me to build my car, I was hesitant to contribute to this thread. But, my car isn't a typical swap anyway you look at it. The conversion isn't so much that its hard to do, but the big question is .....is it really worth it? It makes more power than a stock WRX swap and at lower RPMs. I think the bigger question is, What will you do with the car when its done? If you are interested in a WRX swap and will never mod it, consider the H6. If you have plans for more power, IMO, you can make more power for less money than having the parts made for the H6. I see 400+ WHP wrx's every day...try to get 400WHP from an H6......a little more money unless you have some really good resources or sponsors. I'm just saying be honest with yourself when you figure out your end goal and stick to it....just like any other build......again, just my .02

96 Impreza L 5spd EG33

I didn't need to cut the upper radiator core support to drop the EG in....and I installed mine WITH the trans attached. The reason I cut mine was because of the relocation of the radiator. If I had the time to wait, I could have had one easily made to fit.

Like stated above, getting the engine in the car is BY FAR the easiest part.

So, to put all of the myths to rest......any Subaru H6 will physically fit in an Impreza.

Air conditioning can be retained but you may need to have some custom lines made and get creative with their routing.

Have a custom rad made. Make it easy on yourself! (EG33)

engine and trans mounts......(EG33) the STi Group N are needed and for the more bold, just use solid mounts. The OE 2.0/2.2/2.5 mounts bolt up to the engine with no mods.

Wiring.......same answer as any other swap. Get the diagrams, tag the wires to be left, the wires to be spliced and the wires to go. Check a couple of times and weed them away! Not for the faint of heart. Not that its too hard, just a little scarry to see such a big pile of unused wiring.....which BTW, don't throw away until your definately done with the conversion.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cueauto is offline   Reply With Quote