Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst.ack View Post
So in terms of performance I'm better off going with a slight stretch to "stiffen up" the sidewall characteristics? If that's the case I'm curious why meaty fitments are touted as the "more functional" fitments when compared with stretched fitments (barring ridiculous stretches purely for stance).
So-called "meaty fitments" are trading on traditional drag-racing and old-time muscle car images for their appeal. Much of that is rooted in a time when you just couldn't get wide wheels (there was a time when 7" wide wheels were almost as scarce as hen's teeth, not available even on Corvettes), and when 70-series tires were the "low profile tires" and had plenty of sidewall.

Ends up with both conventional (for the time) appearance reasons and for the Tire & Rim Association rim width ranges for 70 and 60 series tires forcing sidewalls to be tall and visibly "bulge-y". This association seems to have stuck, perhaps past its "best sold by" date.

On appearances, once a car starts picking up stereotypical drag race car or traditional muscle car visual cues, the car's got to be powerful and fast, right? And wheels do tend to be the things that first stand out from and hint at the rest . . . [/sarcasm]

I do give the serious drag racers a partial pass in that the slightly softer "meaty" fitment would cushion the shock of sudden clutch engagement in dragstrip-style starts a little. Though with AWD, this is perhaps of less value than with 2WD (either end).

Norm
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-07-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote