Old 06-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

When the topic of old skool Subbies came up on ClubWRX the other day, I forgot to mention Kevin Thomas (that's his screenname here) as someone who has one of these and has done some work on it. He has done custom cams and runs 15's in the 1/4. A little different application than your end use, but he is probably still a good resource. I bet he knows about suspension upgrades and such that would be worthwhile for you.

On the turbo, it would probably cost you about $200 to send it out to Deadbolt Industries and have it blueprinted, rebuilt with new bearings and wheels, and balanced. Deadbolt is the best shop that I know of when it comes to workng on IHI turbos. They would also be a good place to talk to about maybe a larger exhaust turbine for it. I don't remember exactly which turbo is in there, but with their Japanese connections, I am pretty sure they could get you an upgraded housing, or even complete turbo. The trick is that the flange's for the inlet and exhaust are different than all the Ej series subbies

And that is where an exhaust becomes a little challanging. Unless you want to spend a bundle, you will want to use the original flange from the stock DP. This will sacrifice some of the flow and spool up that a replacement DP usually offers. But you can still make some gains with bigger piping from there back. Personally, I don't think anything larger than 2.5" is needed for less than 250-275 hp, so that is what I would get. I had my custom exhaust work done at Ken's Muffler in Longmont. They are a good shop with decent prices, and are pretty well recommended by many of the SCCA guys, including folks that run old MG"s and Alfa's who need true custom work done. My custom midpipe with high flow cat ran me $225 installed. Add that to the $250 I paid Flat4 for my PDM divorced wastegate DP and I was out the door with a turbo exhaust for less than $500...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote