Old 01-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
Nerdelectric
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477540
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

PA emissions is on a county by county basis. Realistically you have to be in a very rural county to not have emissions inspections, but they exist. One example is Butler county (for now).

For the cars that require emissions, OBD1 used to vary between counties. Some counties it was visual only, other counties required a tailpipe sniff (that almost no shops had due to cost). Thankfully now all OBD1 cars are older than 25 years old, so they are all exempt.

Speaking of emissions exemptions, I'm aware of two: if the car is 25 years old or older, or if it's driven less than 5k miles in a year. I get the mileage exemption every year on my 350Z. I only save $5 and still have to pay $30-something for the sticker though.

For cars that do require testing, in reality all that they do is say "Yup, that plausibly looks like it could be a complete exhaust system," plug into the OBD2 port, confirm all readiness monitors report good, then slap the sticker on. If you want to pass emissions, get an exhaust with a high flow cat, get a proper tune that will prevent any CEL caused by the high flow cat, and you're good to go.

My experience with this is driving in this state for almost 2 decades, the entire time with modified cars, and I have lived on both sides of the state.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Nerdelectric is offline   Reply With Quote