Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
TougeAdict
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76965
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
2014 Forester Limited

Default White Smoke and Plastic Burning Smell.. What is the problem?

Hello fellow Subaru oweners!

I'm have been searching this issue on the forums and most of the posts didn't really have a answer for me.

Here is one:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...+Plastic+Smell

2002 Subaru WRX
Mileage: 174,---

ANYWAYS! I drove to Skyline Drive in Virginia. For me to get there I did a about a hour drive. Regular driving no racing or high speeds on the way there. Once I got there pulled off one of the overlooks and turned off my car. I got back in started it up and notice a wierd plastic burning smell?? I thought it was a little weird even though I have had the FAMOUS gas smell for years. So I drove a couple miles more down Skyline Drive. The smell started getting worse and stuck around. So I pulled over looked in the engine bay and noticed the smell around the front part of the engine near the passenger side. No Smoke though (yet). Drove back home a 2 hour drive still with the smell not as bad as before.

Got home and the car sat in my driveway for about 2-3 hours. Started it back up to go to the store. As soon as I start up I noticed a puff of smoke come out of my hood scoop. Then I look at the back of the car and White Smoke is pouring out of my exhaust that has the smell of burning plastic. Drove up the street, shut it off for about 20 minutes and started it again. Did the same thing. Puff of smoke through hood scoop and pouring white smoke out of the exhaust. Now the smoke tones down as I drive. During all this I am still smelling the burning plastic inside the car.

The way I have been reading on the boards here, I have heard that it could be a head gasket or turbo seal? Someone please help. Thank You guys! You guys have been GREAT help before.

SIDE NOTE: The engine has no modifications.

Sorry for the very long explanation.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TougeAdict is offline   Reply With Quote