View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #3
Gohawks688
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521322

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNV View Post
If the 04 is like the 2011 trans I took apart I’d hazard a guess that you could swap the input shaft and gears without changing the shims and all that. The pinion shaft would be a different story. You’d have to make sure it was the same gear ratios and also that the speedometer sensor type was the same. Obviously measure the various components and then make sure everything meshed properly.

I don’t know if the parts would interchange or not, just looking at the photos of mine when it was apart I’d wager a guess you’d be ok.
I've considered two options on the gear swap front. Get a push type trans and take all the internals (input&output shafts whole, diff ect) and put in the wrx case.
Or
Source a new input shaft and move all my current gears over to that new shaft. I've seen input shaft for about 150 new online. Do the gears just side off once the nut is taken off or are they pressed? If I keep the exact same shims and use an the same gears I'm thinking it would be ok. Seems like a risk worthy of 150$ and some tinker time.
But my fear is the same as yours. That without proper shimming and measurement things will go bad.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Gohawks688; 01-23-2021 at 12:42 AM.
Gohawks688 is offline   Reply With Quote