Kalvus5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332400
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default Questions about MBC already installed on car

Hey guys I have an 02 WRX that came with a PDE uppipe and a dual-stage TurboXS manual boost controller installed by the previous single-owner. I the maintenance documents it says he set it to 15 psi for the first level and then he hooked it up to a switch in the cabin and when flicked it goes to 17 psi. I've got a couple questions about the set-up though now that I've been researching it a bit more and any help would be great.

1) I've heard about "full boost partial throttle" and the problems that it can cause. I started to test it out on the street and I could never get it to go full boost with only partial throttle at all. It would always rise steadily with the amount of throttle that I gave the car, until it reached the 15 psi limit with the throttle all the way down. Also, I heard that these MBC's would overrride the controlled boost in gears 1-2 and it would hit its 15 psi limit instead of the 7-10 or whatever boost is limited to in those two gears. However, with mine it doesn't hit full boost in those two gears and hits 15/17 in gears 3,4,5. Does this mean he had it professionally tuned for the car? It doesn't seem to have any of the problems that other users have experienced with an MBC.

2) Also, I was thinking of going stage 1/2 in the future. I understand that I'd have to probably take off the MBC in order to get the cobb AP maps working right. I know stage 2 would definitely give me more power then what I have now but what about stage 1? Does anyone know the approximate HP I'm making with this setup and if stage 1 would be anymore? If it's not too much of a difference I'd probably just keep this setup for a while.

Some more info, the car has 171,000 miles and he had it installed pretty early in its life, around 50,000 miles. It seems then that its been pretty reliable and it's been set up correctly. I'm still a bit confused why he'd choose to do this and not go stage 1/2 but who knows..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kalvus5 is offline   Reply With Quote