View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Cassovel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270069
Default Best Subaru power for my swap

Hi everyone, i just want to start off by saying that i do not own a Subaru(i would love to but im not willing to get rid of my superbeetle for it). I own a 1972 VW Superbeetle(the much older brother of the contemporary boxer). But here is the deal i want to do an engine swap for a subaru power plant and i am looking for some advice on the best engine for my application. Ive looked up the different engines 2.5/2.0 na/turbo j-spec/usa-spec etc.. what i am looking for is something strong, reliable, and not crazy heavy. I have kids that will ride with me occasionally so im not to big on 400whp lol but i would like to have between 200-300 to the crank atleast so that when i do want to play i can. ive seen plenty of conversions before included a 300whp sti engine swapped into a vw bug so i know its doable but im just looking for something that would suit me and my car. the reason im looking at weight is for handling. I don't want to make the rear of the car so much heavier that the radiator that im installing in the front won't be able to compensate. the reason i chose the subaru and not a heavily modded aircooled 1600 is because once you get to a certain point with a 1600 you are spending more money to get less power and less reliablity than if you just invested in a subaru to begin with. plus its the same/similar layout engine. I have probably left some details out so forgive me, just ask for whatever info you may need. Also my car weighs around 1900 lbs as it sits even with the bright pink carseat in the back. Also the stock 1600 engine weighs around 200 lbs
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Cassovel is offline   Reply With Quote