Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151245
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93V View Post
also, for what it's worth, my PSP seems to whine when it's cold out. earlier, after the car had completely cooled off and it was still pretty cold (30F?) i turned the car on and experimented with listening to the pump while i did certain things. both turning the steering wheel and revving the motor seemed to make the noise louder (duh). interestingly enough, it seemed that i could also slightly modulate the noise by fiddling with the 90-degree fitting on top of the housing for the return line. the return hose is definitely stiff. fluid is generally dirty brown, though i recently added a little dexron 3 ATF. no super noticeable leaks (on the ground) but there is general wet crud around the pump area.

also interestingly enough, after the car was at normal operating temperature and it was a little warmer out (39F now), the pump isn't noisy at all.

aside from just now when everything felt fine, i have been getting intermittent steering wheel vibrations, varying in intensity. wheel also jitters a bit, again intermittently, if i turn it from side to side while stationary.

car has 105k on it now. had the 90k/timing belt service done about 7k miles ago. didn't change the PS fluid.
There's a bearing on the front of the pump that you can see through the holes in the pulley that I'll bet has black oily dirt-filled crud on it around the shaft, which could be slow leak of ATF out the front due to the bearing or oil seal being worn. Also, the ball bearings inside of the bearing may be worn so that could contribute to some of the noise. One easy o-ring to change is the one on top of the pump under the black plastic 90 degree fitting. Some people have luck with just changing that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRXFanDave is offline   Reply With Quote