Scooby Newbie

Member#: 401922
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2018 STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst.ack View Post
Derailing this slightly, I'm looking at getting some Enkei RPF-1's for my daily-driven 2015 WRX (original, I know but I really like how the shape of the RPF-1 cross section accentuates a meaty fitment), but can't decide between 18x9.5 +38 or 18x9 +35, running 265/35s.

I'm aware that 265 is on the limit of how wide one might normally go with a 9" wheel, but I'm after a functional, meaty fitment.

It's quite common for me to go ragging the car on some mountain/backroads for a bit of fun, but I don't have any intention of ever taking the car to the track.

I know both of those widths/offsets physically fit the WRX, but my question is more along the lines of which one would be the more logical choice in terms of:

- The look of the fitment - would 265's on a 9" be "too" meaty (I don't even know if it's possible to be too meaty)?
- The weight saved by going for a 9"
- The handling - would 265's on a 9.5" perform better or worse than a 9"?
- The feel - would 265's on a 9.5" tramline less or more than a 9"?

Also, being a big newbie to aftermarket wheels and tyres, will I need to purchase aftermarket valve stems and/or different lug nuts? I know I need hub-centric rings...

Thanks in advance
For a daily driven car, I'd go with the 18x9 +35 sizing, with either your choice of a 245/40r18 or 255/40r18 sized tire. You can alternatively go with a 255/35r18 tire to retain almost stock-like speedometer. Most people run the 2xx/35r18 sized tires to retain stock-like steering response, while other people run 2xx/40r18 sized tires to gain that extra half inch or so comfort. Since you won't be tracking the car, the extra 1/2 width from a 9.5" wide wheel isn't really necessary. Shameless plug, but I have a set of RPF1 in 18x9 +35 for sale (but shipping would likely be a pain since you're in Aus haha). Also if you intend on buying the RPF1s brand new, you should be get getting complementary valve stems too. If not, you'll likely have to buy them then. With regards to lug nuts, you should be fine with most aftermarket lug nuts. The OEM lug nuts work just fine from my experience. Lastly, you'll need 56.1mm inner diameter to 73mm outer diameter hub centric rings too.

Cheers
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote