View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
c4lvinnn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479833

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
Your design eliminates the low-load PCV which I would only recommend for a track car as it will cause the catch can to fill more quickly (not dramatically faster, mind you... unless you screwed something up). That said, the design is sound if you drain regularly.

Also, your design should use an effective baffle system within the catch can, use fairly long hoses, and the can itself should be positioned high on the firewall, if you can manage it. All of these details will lessen the amount of oil that gets blown through the filter and all over your engine bay. An even better solution is to run the filter at the end of a hose down a rocker panel - very easy to do with a small grommet on the firewall (into the wiper motor area).

This should only be true if you tap into the wrong head port (the balance ports). The baffled fresh air ports should not do this.

I highly recommend trying this system a while with some basic baffles you make yourself (assuming you can open the can)... then decide if you want to shell out $300 to essentially have the same thing.
Unfortunately it's a solid unit that's not serviceable and I couldn't see any filter media in there, but I did see some chambers for the vapor/"swirl pot" area. I've already tried a Perrin AOS, which was very undersized for my set up so I was constantly puking oil out of the ports. and eventually had to VTA it because it overflowed into the intake tract which is absolutely nothing I ever want to encounter (again), so VTA eliminates that altogether. It's a forged motor so also no big deal with deleting the PCV. Just makes it simpler in the end. I also daily drive the car so basically maintenance-wise on the catch can basically every time I stop for gas to check it etc is going to get very annoying, so I'm going to try this until my break in period is over and go recirculated IAG AOS.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote