Scooby Guru

Member#: 141373
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Sport
6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrexer View Post
I have a 2012 wrx with stock summer tires. I’m looking at getting a set of wheels and tires for winter driving.

Snowfall varies from a half inch to a foot or more. Roads are always plowed during and after storms when they occur. Temps on average are below freezing mid November through mid March and at times below zero.

I'm torn between all seasons or a snow tire because there is a lot of dry pavement driving. We also have a 2011 Outback which has the stock all seasons which got around great last winter. Is it safe to say the wrx would get around just as good with all seasons?

Thanks!
Seriously, with all of the above, you still consider all seasons? Winter tires are not only for 4" snowy unplowed canyons. As it was already said, tyre-on-asphalt grip decreases dramatically for A/S tires, simply due to a compound which is tailored for higher temperatures. At +5F, your A/S behave like plastic , whereas winter tyres will offer a much, much better grip. Then there is ice. Condensation, residuals from the snowplow, slush which froze overnigh, black ice... and we haven't even mentioned driving in/during snow.

Get a set of steelies, winter tires, and call it a day. Given that your mileage will now be spread in between 2 sets, your effective cost won't be that high. ANY winter tyre you get will offer a bazillion times improvement over your A/S, but for plowed winter road conditions I'd vouch for Michelin Xice3 (they're silent, comfy, and excellent on ice).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote