Capt Crunch
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10852
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Then : JDM Ver 7 STi
Now : E46 M3 / MKVI GTI

No, it's the right forum.

You are right, version 8 is twinscroll, and will not fit your exhaust. Honestly, I would not care if the motor you get will fit your exhaust. If you swap the motor you are blowing so much money already that a different downpipe is not going to make a difference.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put a stock WRX turbo on a JDM motor. The damn thing would spool so quickly and not pull to redline at all. The stock VF30 that comes with the motor doesn't pull to redline, it's too small.

Buy in bulk. It will save you in the long run. Honestly, for me the best part of the swap is the transmission. It is leagues better than the WRX tranny, in both durability, gear ratios, and driver feel. Additionally you'll want a R180 rear end.

Read this thread I wrote up on the subject a while back, it explains my position.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670037

Basically, I sold my WRX motor and transmission for a $3000 and managed to get a JDM sti motor/tranny/R180 for $6000 out of pocket. This didn't include labor, but it's not as hard as you think. The only thing I did before swapping the motor was changing an exhaust.

Why do you want the motor? Power? Finesse? How much power do you want in the long run? What are your goals? If you want a big turbo down the road, JDM sti is the only way to go.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote