Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
dse37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332873
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default New 2002 WRX owner question, boost issues

Hey all, new 2002 WRX owner here coming from the diesel world! Had to sell the Cummins because it was starting to rust badly (Dodge crap) and could no longer stand the investment just driving the thing around (fuel costs). That being said I know my way around a turbocharged vehicle.

My question is that for some reason even when under acceleration my OEM boost gauge is reading vacuum until I really get on the skinny pedal...I know this isn't possible. At max I think it is reading 6-7 psi. This car is bone stock. Is it likely that the boost gauge is bad? Looking in the engine bay it seems that the line going to the boost gauge has a frayed end and didn't have a clamp or anything to attach it to the T-joint. I believe it is coming off the the BPV. If this joint was leaking badly shouldn't the boost gauge be reading nearly -14.7 psi (or 14 psi vacuum) at idle since what we see on the gauge is a psi-gage reading rather than absolute pressure? Seems funny to me that it reads 3-6 psi vacuum most of the time until hard acceleration. Perhaps someone has ran into this problem before and could shed some light? I don't think I can post pics yet because this is my first post.

Thanks for any help!

Car:
2002 WRB WRX
120,000 miles
5 speed
Bone Stock
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dse37 is offline   Reply With Quote