Scooby Guru

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej20kurabus View Post
anyone know is there is a difference between the ej20k (1996) valvesprings and retainers and the 2002 wrx OR know a website i can get aftermarket springs and retainers for an ej20k, as the closest option they ever have for a 2.0l turbo is the 2002 wrx. tia
Yes, the 2002-2005 wrx springs are shorter and I think the valves are different length as well.

The springs in the 96-98 dohc 2.5 and the ej20k are longer than the 02-05 wrx springs. I got a set of shims by ferrea that allowed the shorter ej205 size springs to work in my ej20k heads but ferrea doesn't have them anymore. The ones they sent me sucked anyway and I had to send them back because their sizes weren't accurate. Finally they returned in the correct size and I installed the dual supertech springs. The ej25d n/a heads have the same spring and valve setup as the ej20k, just different spring pressure and some had sodium filled valves.

From what I remember, the shims ferrea made were 6.40mm thick, which made the ej205 spec supertech dual springs fit correctly. They replaced the oem spring seats. I also had supertech valves for the n/a ej25d in my ej20k heads.

If you contact user 2pot, he may be able to share the specs of some shims he had made for his setup. I think a machine shop made his, they looked to be of better quality than the ferrea.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote