Scooby Guru

Member#: 159682
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2015 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
It was a complete USDM EJ205 longblock. The rod tossed and blew that hole into the open deck (See top photo and left side where it is marked EJ20 on it). I dunno how the heads were even salvageable. Then he found a $40 2.2NA engine and put it into the car and sold the car (I don't want to even ask if the block was mentioned as being part of the sale since I'm sure the new owner wouldn't be too happy knowing a 2.2NA was in place of a regular WRX block).

Interesting what was said about the cylinders of the USDM EJ205 vs. the NA 2.2L. I thought the 2.2L's had better/thicker walls than the EJ20's.
Wow, so quick to jump to conclusions.

The person who bought my car knew what they were getting. If you really want, search on here, craigslist and ebay for my old for sale ads. All of them said it was a 2.2 shortblock. I only sold it a few weeks ago. There was nothing to be unhappy about, it was a good running car. I drove it around 4 months after putting the engine together and had no issues at all. I went to the dragstrip twice with the 2.2. The first time I got a bad tank of gas and it was a wasted trip. The next time it was in the low 30's and I had RE01R summer tires that were like rocks in the cold and just spun. It ran a few mid 12's spinning bad. I did a big burnout to heat them, got it to hook and the exedy stage 1 clutch slipped. I put a 3 puck exedy stage 2 in it but didn't run the car at a track again before I sold it. It think it could have went high 11's. It went a 12.2 with the original 2.0 on a 90 degree day in the summer.

The usdm ej205 isn't some special "turbo" engine. It's an open deck block with the same crank and rods as a 2.2 and cast pistons just like the non turbo engines. Like I wrote above, the 2.2 is no stronger or weaker, just a little bigger.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote