Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235475
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach415 View Post
Hi, my friend and I are trying to diagnose the same type of problem. He just bought the car from a private sale and issues started happening the day after. His car essentially will start up sometimes, then dies after about 2 minutes (cold start), temp gauge pegs to hot, tachometer pegs to 8k, and relays from passenger side are constantly clicking. Once it dies, it refuses to start back up for a while and persist w/ the pegging and clicking even after you turn off the vehicle, remove the key, and attempt to start it up again.

I read that it maybe a ground problem but everywhere I searched, I can only seem to find three-four common ground locations (starter, intake manifold, near vcd module, and the two from the engine to the bottom of the chassis). We have fixed the starter ground location (was not in the right place) What are the other grounding points I should look for (possible diagram or picture location will help a lot).

Also if grounding is not the issue, what can be possibly the problem causing it?

Whatís odd in your case is the tach pegging to 8K. None of the issues mentioned here show that symptom. In your case Iíd check for loose grounds under the dash apart from the engine bay. Iíd also recommend getting a scanner that can read the other systems: ABS, VDC, BIU, etc. The codes you get with those systems are not P codes, so thatíll give you more info as to what system could be causing the issue. In the factory service manual thereís a list for each systemís codes and how to diagnose them.

In my case, I got the combination of 2 codes, U1221 and C0047. First one for CAN communication and second for ABS system. The FSM states that a combo of those codes together means the possibility of a faulty ECU, which I will be replacing during the next few weeks. Now, this is my case, so yours could be different, which is why Iím recommending a different scanner.

There are many shops that carry the Snap-On scanner, which can do this, but you can also get one that does the same from ebay. Mineís an iCarsoft HNMII. It wasnít until I got this that I could identify my issue as no P codes were ever triggered, so a regular scanner, nor the Accessport would tell me anything.

Another thing, since the car was bought used, you might wanna check what mods, if any, were done to the car. In terms of mods, Iím not only saying engine related, so check radio, gauges and any other thing that could relate to wiring.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cianuro is offline   Reply With Quote