Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #31
cianuro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235475
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Silver

If you remove the main relay and put the ignition to ON, itíll create the condition of the temp gauge pegged to hot, no crank or start, and VDC/ABS lights on. That relay has constant 12v from the battery, even with the car off. Once you turn the key to ON, pin #23 from 3rd ecu plug (left to right) triggers that relay and outputs 1V. If it is the main relay, pin #23 will show 12V with the ignition key ON.

That relay controls fuel pump and ignition coils. If voltage is tested and performs as it should, then he would need to check elsewhere. One of the guys here commented about finding a loose ground in the engine bay, which when jumped to ground, got everything working again. Then again, this thread mentions nothing of tach pegged at 8K, so his problem has to be something else.

When my ac was worked on, they left that relay block hanging from its wires, so I took out the dash completely to inspect a couple other grounds mentioned in the FSM that relate to the ecu, said relays and other systems like ABS and VDC. As far as I could access, I found no loose grounds, but seeing as the issues started the day after he got the car, might be worth a shot.

Still, I do recommend again the scanner I mentioned, or a similar one. Different combo of codes means different causes for symptoms.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cianuro is offline   Reply With Quote