ricerocket123
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (5)

Member#: 126879
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP

I bought the Grimmspeed splitter for my 2004 WRX. Took it to the track last weekend. In brief, let's just say that I am more than pleased. I think the price is great for those who do not have the time to fabricate their own. Following is detailed review if you have time for it:

I have the FMS large TMIC which measures at about 20X7.5X4 (v.s. the grimmspeed TMIC which measures at 19X7X3.75). I hacked up the stock splitter. The opening was a bit wider than the TMIC. A combination of stock bellow and garage door seal was used to form the gasket around the intercooler. Visually, it looks perfect, but everytime i touched the TMIC after parking my car, it is hot like anything else in the engine bay.

I always had the thought about buying the splitter from Process West until the Grimmspeed came up with theirs. I was thinking, hey, for the Group Buy price, why not give it a shot. The product came in a nice white box. The packaging inside also looked of high quality. The splitter is beautiful. The quality is on par with any well known japanese part makers. You know you are not buying some ebay junk. However, I still had the following issues:

1. it did not come with any mounting hardware. So you have to re-use the stock ones. But there is one plastic rivet in the middle which doesn't fit the hole on Grimmspeed's splitter. So I had to leave that one out.

2. The bellow (aka rubber gasket) that came with the splitter is only 17.5 x 5.5. So in other words, the bellow only covers 70% of the intercooler. You can refer to the picture i have at the end. This was a big disappointment for me. Looking at my "hacked up" oem splitter, it actually covers more area than Grimmspeed's.

Despite the smaller coverage, I noticed that, everytime I parked my car, the TMIC is cool for the hands to touch. It's cooler than my hand, so the temperature has to be lower than body temp. On the other hand, my SPT intake is burning hot, I couldn't even put my hand on it. I took my car to the track last weekend. I usually do 5 consecutive laps before coming off to cool my car. TMIC was cool to touch every time I come off, whereas everything else was burning. I could smell my brakes from 5 ft away. Heat was pouring out of the engine bay. SPT intake was too hot to touch as usual. But the TMIC was cool. The area immediately outside of the bellow was cool as well, but further away from the bellow, the TMIC is still hot. I have to say that I am very happy with the result. The bellow coverage didn't seem to play a role in the cooling.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ricerocket123 is offline   Reply With Quote