delongedoug
Scooby Guru

Member#: 124113
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
Pura vida!
Yellow V standing by

Pretty much everything I have to add has been stated already

- Why are you dropping thousands of dollars on suspension if you don't do motorsports in any fashion? Enjoy your car!

- The wear and risks aren't as great as you think with autocross. An autocross is generally 5 runs of lets say one minute for the sake of argument. We're talking 5 damn minutes of driving in an entire day. You'll see a ton of cars there that just showed up off the street with no mods whatsoever. Of course there's some wear, but you don't need to buy a clutch and flywheel and whatever else you think you need to blow money on. The risks of an accident are slim as well. Walk the course a few times and try to visualize it from start to finish. If you can't, it's time to walk it again.

- As for track dangers, I haven't yet experienced the track, but I'm registered to go to Lime Rock with NASA April 4th. I don't know what group you're considering tracking with, but you're going to be in the novices category with an instructor in the car at all times. You won't be racing in any way shape or form. Passes should only occur on designated straightaways once the car ahead of you has given a point by for the ok. I am wary of the risks, which is why I won't be approaching the limit. And trust me, the instructors don't want you approaching the limit in the first place. I just bought a set of Ohlins and am about to get the install/alignment/corner balance done before I go to Lime Rock. I am also attending the Evo AutoX School (Phase 1 and Phase 2) at Devens this year along with autoXing every other weekend or so. I plan to get the most of out my mods and do a lot of events this year.

In summary: Do some autoXs first. You'll get comfortable with the car at the limit. Then do some schools to get better (AutoX school or HPDE like I'm doing with instructors). I was a total newb last year and now I'm pretty involved in the sport. Have fun!

PS It is not a cheap sport. If you put the money you would spend on the clutch or flywheel towards events and schools, you'll be wayyy faster (and a much better driver).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote