Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn2Corner View Post
I am guessing a IHI VF48 high flow?

https://www.full-race.com/store/suba...10583496093750

Without my planned mods for one it is a 10% power increase over the regular oem model and has a slightly quicker spool. Doesn’t require a tune either unless of course the build consists of more than this turbo.

There are few better oem options without going with a twin scroll set up like a VF58 (holy grail oem turbo).

I plan to go with the high flow and swap the cartridge with a ball bearing unit. Maybe upgrade the compressor wheel even further than the one they used for it.

I highly considered the Vf48 Hi Flow. I then talked to WRXnick16, who had his VF58 upgraded by Advanced Sports Engineering in Italy, and as their US ambassador told me about all of the options they offer. I almost pulled the trigger on a fully custom turbo using all OEM parts.

It would have been a VF48 machined to accept the ball bearing center section of a VF34 which was the last single scroll ball bearing IHI turbo. Then used a P20 exhaust housing from the larger VF22. All using a billet compressor wheel and upgraded turbine wheel of your choice. Giorgio from ASE told me that this combo would spool faster than a stock VF48 with the light weight internals and ball bearing by about 250rpm even with the larger P20 Housing.

The wealth of knowledge Nick, and Giorgio from ASE have about IHI turbos was incredible. I am getting a turbo from them, however its a lot more more special. I hope to have some more pictures and info in the coming weeks once it is officially mine.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote