View Single Post
Old 10-02-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
Rob W.
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8992
Vehicle:
'02 WRB WRX
'91 300ZX Twin Turbo

Default How much oil is too much in a WRX? Ticking noise.

Today, I decided to check all my fluids in my WRX. The car has a whole 380 miles on it now. Everything looked pretty good except the engine oil - it was way full. It's hard to describe the dipstick, but here's two attempts:

1.) If you measure the distance from the end of the dipstick to the "F" mark, my oil is about DOUBLE that amount!

2.) If you look at the end of the dipstick, starting on the bottom end, there are three 90 degree twists to the stick. My oil is at the second twist.

What should I do? Is this normal for factory break-in periods? Is it way too much? I've had some engines in the past that have dipsticks which are very sensitive to oil amounts. By that, I mean that just slightly overfilling it will make the dipstick look like it's way overfilled (but it's no big deal really). Is the WRX like that, or should I go to the dealer and tell them to drain some oil out??

I noticed that my engine has a slight ticking noise that changes with revs. This made me think that the engine might be low on oil, which is what prompted me to check it in the first place. It's a fairly quiet sound.. maybe it's even the injectors clicking away.. I can't tell for sure. It's mostly just noticeable if I'm driving next to a tall curb or wall. Does anyone else have this sound? Could the ticking be related to the overfilled oil? I'm a real amateur when it comes to these boxer motors, so any advice would be appreciated.

-Rob W.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rob W. is offline   Reply With Quote