Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458401
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklstd View Post
Never posted anything here begore.
Not sure this is correct place for this but kind of simmilar. And couldn't find anything that sounded closer. My profile says Scooba newbie. Or something like that. Not sure that's accurate. I've owned a few. Worked on many. Had 93 legacy wagon that took me to work every day and to many places and back that it should have never been able to. And that was before I lifted it 4 1/2 inches and added some mud treads off my old truck. Didn't use one of those kits. They cost money and wouldn't have worked anyway. Fabed a rear crossmember to replace the rusted one. After rebuilding the rear strut towers. I swapped the struts and mount with some that I think came from an intrepid. Bolted right in (with some modifications). Also had to modify the trailing arm mounts to keep suspension geometry somewhere near correct. Turned out better than I expected. Drove about same as original. And much better than with rear diff strapped up over spare tire with a ratchet strap. (Had to make it home somehow. ) Front had modified struts and mounts off something. Tires hit the spring mount on originals. Was geared too high for the bigger tires. And couldn't find source for anytime lower. So when the water pump failed and timing belt went, that was it. And It sounded pretty wild with no converter and straight pipes. Anyway, that's not what I'm here for. So let me try to stay on topic.,***55357;***56862;
I'm considering a 2004 legacy 35th Anniversary Edition sedan. With a 2.5 5spd. Not seen it yet. But thinking it has bad Center diff. Anyone know if the center diff from a 96 2.2 outback wagon 5spd will work in the 04 trans. Trying to look it up was not working very well. I've got the old trans from my 96 outback which had a broken shift fork that had a good diff. I need to find out before I buy it. Because if it won't work I'll pass. Thinking head gasket probably bad. Says it overheats sometimes. But like said haven't seen it yet. Nor could the owner give me any use able info. Hopefully it won't be. Seen quite a few that was just deteriorated radiator fill neck letting coolant out. A little rtv when putting cap on usually takes care of that. But if I'm going to have to buy a center diff and do head gaskets. It's in good shape and priced right but not that right. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Also he said it is leaking gear lube. Somewhere in the front. Wasn't doing it until it started jerking and poping when turning right from a stop. Is there a common issue that could cause this leak? Maybe from continued driving with a bad diff? Damaged Trans case or something?
Hey man the first section of your post sounds like it was a fun project! On the jerking when turning right I'm no expert but from reading around a lot recently, it kind of sounds like torque bind. Maybe running mismatched tires, tire pressure, tire tread life or all of the above? That would be the easiest solution to that, I know there's a handful of other things that can cause jerking. I don't personally have any experience with center diff compatibility outside of the 02-05 wrx center diffs. Hopefully someone with more experience on trans internal swaps can chime in and help you out
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BrandonBailey is offline   Reply With Quote