View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 12:17 AM   #5430
porusski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 527254

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedotd View Post
I watched these today too. Road and Track also picked the MK8 GTI over the Golf R (maybe paywalled): https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...-with-the-gti/

I ended up trading my MK7 Golf R w/6spd manual for a MK7.5 GTI w/6spd DSG mainly to get a better commuter car in stop and go traffic and I missed having a sunroof as an option in the spring and fall here in New England when the weather is nice. The R had tons of grip, but because of the front-biased AWD system you could never get the back end to step out like my GR WRX STi, at best you could get some rear power transfer that made the car more neutral in corners instead of understeer.

From what I've heard so far on the MK8 Golf R, it's more of the same. Super competent, but still not fun, even with "drift mode" which is still limited to 50% of torque to the rear (although now it can transfer 100% of the 50% total to a single rear wheel). Not to mention the worst infotainment system in the industry.

I'm not in the market for a daily driver right now, but I'd probably pick the WRX (or upcoming STi once the details are released) over a MK8 GTI/Golf R, even with the plastic cladding warts and prolapsed rear bumper. I miss the symmetrical AWD characteristics, and as SavageGeese and AMS Performance found out, the FA24F appears to be notably less stressed than the previous FA20F (or unreliable EJ257 which I'll never own again).

Well said. I appreciate the write-up.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
porusski is offline   Reply With Quote