View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #16
boomtonic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27231

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck
My knee has been messed up for a while so I haven't been able to run. I finally rode my bike today...yes, its a stupid huffy, but it moves, although I need to grease up the gears a bit, and it felt a lot better. I did about 6 miles fairly easily but obviously want to do more. If I actually continue to use my bike for the entire summer I'll probably pick up a real one near the end of the season when they should be cheaper (right?) So any tips on what I should be looking for then would be nice too (500 would be the absolute max I could spend, probably closer to 200 max if I move out.)

The brakes seemed decent after I had worn them in a bit. The seat wasn't overall uncomfortable, but near the second trip around it started to hurt, will this get better or is there a easy cheap way I can fix this? Also any other tips to enhance my stamina and do better?
Initailly, work on your cadence to keep your crank spinning at about 80-90 rpm or so. Don't worry about bike speed or distance. Do at least 30 minutes and work that time up as you progress. Developing stammina early will make for more enjoyable cycling.

As for the seat comfort issue, it sounds like the bike cockpit (IBhesaidcockpit) may need some adjustment to fit you better. Most pain associated w/ the seat comes from an improper seating position more than from the seat itself. How does your neck and lower back feel? Are they both ok?

Your season-end plan is a good one. Ride the stuffing out of the cheap bike for now, watch for deals in a bit.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
boomtonic is offline   Reply With Quote