Old 03-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #15
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

My 2013 WRX is doing the same thing, except it happens on left and right turns. Mine also has a 2015 STi rack.

So far, the most I've been able to determine is that the VDC is actuating the brakes- but I haven't yet figured out why. If you turn off traction control, I'd bet the farm your problem went away.

My leading theory revolves around the STi rack. The VDC uses various sensor inputs (yaw/ lateral acceleration, steering angle, wheel speed) to make sure the car is not losing control. Since the ratio is now tighter, the same turn now requires less steering angle input. When the car sees a lot of lateral acceleration (like when you enter a turn) but the steering angle is relatively low, the VDC thinks there is a problem and it intervenes. THIS IS JUST A THEORY. If this ends up being true, I don't know how to correct it, other than swapping back to a stock rack. Maybe an Arduino to manipulate the signal??

My other theory is that the yaw sensor (under the console) somehow got bumped or misaligned. It's easy enough to check, but I haven't had the time yet. I definitely need to spend some solid time with the scan tool to figure this one out. I'm VERY interested in seeing what your dealer comes up with.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote