Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208896
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 STI Type RA
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumGTR View Post
I have a 2018 Type RA. I picked up a non-amplified, 6Ē with physical buttons head unit from a 2020 wrx I believe. I believe it is actually manufactured by HK but like I said it doesnít require an amp as my car doesnít have one, nor did it come with telematics. Just by virtue of swapping over the head units alone here is what worked:

- backup camera with lines
- Bluetooth phone and audio
- Sirius/Xmas
- front/back and left/right fade
- dimming

What doesnít work is:
- steering wheel controls
- usb iPhone/iPod controls (will launch but then disconnect repeatedly so I canít successfully play any audio from the phone unless unplugged from the car and connected to BTA)
- usb carplay/android auto

I purchased a double 2.1amp usb jack used on eBay and plugged it in yesterday excited that it might let CarPlay work but alas, my phone wonít charge when connected to the replacement unit I got at all, and iPod controls donít even begin to launch like with the original .5amp 2018 usb connectors. Itís like the phone and HU arenít connecting at all.

Maybe someone scammed me with a bum part on eBay so I ordered a new one from the dealership but I canít return it if it is opened as It is an electrical part and more than double what I paid on eBay for the used one. Le sighÖ

I wish I had found this thread for the blue wire into the 12p connector my car doesnít have, in order to kill the HU when the door opens if the key is off. Instead I bought a body control module for a 2020 and thought maybe that would help me get it. Expensive oversight. Does anyone know if the bcm comes into play at all with this?
You just need a new usb module for a 19+ car for that to work. Same goes for the steering wheel control, the buttons are in different location on 19+
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
vw_mkv is offline   Reply With Quote