View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
scarney1988
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 317760

Worked at a independent repair shop during highschool.

Acquired an associates degree in automotive technology with a T-TEN certificate (Camden County College).

Got ASEs and other manufacturer specific awards.

Worked at various Toyota/Lexus/Scion dealers (quitting my way to the top) for about 5 years. I spent the last year of that in community college (Delaware County Community College) taking classes for Electrical Engineering. I'm now in school fulltime aspiring to graduate in spring/15 (Temple University).

If I could offer some advice.... if not just ignore the following.

I made decent money (final pay rate of 21.72/hr), but when I got layed off I was thankful. If you find yourself working in a flatrate environment, which is likely, you will learn to think of your day in tenths of an hour. When its busy you will probably make good money (depends on fairness of work dispatch). When its slow, you may get minimum wage paychecks (or even less if the shop disregards minimum wage laws, which is common). Again, I did well, but you have to accept a variable pay salary as part of the industry. Honestly, there are so many situations that come up with flatrate pay system that its astonishing. You'll either hate it or love, and your coworkers and managers will have a lot to do with it.

As far as schooling. I would only recommend attending classes at accredited institutions. This means community colleges and universities accredited by middle states in our area (both from PA). Pennsylvania College of Technology offers the bachelours programs you may be interested in (Automotive Technology and Business Management or something like that, online courses). I never went there, but I almost did that myself. Met quite a few of their graduates working for TMC.

Im done I could keep going, but planning where you want to end up thoroughly can shortcut you to sucess in the field.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by scarney1988; 02-06-2013 at 11:11 AM.
scarney1988 is offline   Reply With Quote