Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst.ack View Post
With that in mind would it be more worth my while going for a 255/35 which would retain a squarer sidewall and (I'm assuming) a more true-to-form section width? The other obvious benefit of doing this is narrower tyres are often cheaper.
Visually, you'd be kind of hard-pressed to see the difference. Measuring width is just that - it's the width that's been established within the tire industry on which the tire is measured. You can probably take from that that it's a "middle of the road" width where neither handling crispness nor softer ride quality is particularly emphasized over the other attribute.

One thing I should have mentioned in the earlier post is that there can be considerable differences in ride quality and handling crispness/turn-in response among tires of the same nominal size. Even when the tires are claimed to be within the same general performance category (i.e. performance all-season). Some years ago, Falken brought out their Ziex ZE-512 tire model, and to say it was a "soft-responding tire" and "disappointing" from a cornering/handling point of view would be putting it mildly. Bridgestone's RE-92 (not a great tire in other respects) was far better in the corners.

Norm
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote