Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
TurboCharged97L
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71508
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 Impretzia
Artic Silver Metallic

Default outback terrible mpg's !!!!!!!!!!!

okay so i just picked up a 1997 legacy outback limited auto. I have changed all the tranny/diff fluids, oil change, fuel system cleaner, cleaned my battery terminals, and bought a new air filter. The car is completely stock with 148k on it:

1. I am only able to fill up with 12 gallons even though the manual claims I have a 15 gallon tank

2. Even if it is only a 12 gallon tank im getting 200 miles on that and thats only like 16 mpg which is terrible, I could have bought an suv instead

I really love this car and intended on keeping it for a very long time especially since the car has the headgaskets changed, new timing belts, valve cover gaskets, water pump, and everything in the car works. I am going to give it a tune up next week (plugs, wires, fuel filter) but I can't imagine a tune up will give me 100 more miles to the tank. I drive alot and this car would really not be functional to keep so I will have to sell it if I cant fix this problem. If this is typical mpg for an outback consider it for sale.

so all in all is this typical fuel economy for the outback ? and what else can I try and fix to solve this? (there are no check engine lights)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TurboCharged97L is offline   Reply With Quote