Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrDb View Post
I took my car to Tahoe a couple weeks ago when they got ~6 feet of snow in 3 days. My car has the stock all seasons (Yokohama Avid S34D). Going up the 395, the road was completely iced over for a mile or two at a time in some places. I'd say I averaged 40-50mph on those stretches and to be honest the car felt perfectly fine. While I was in the city, the neighborhood streets were covered in snow and the tires still handled fine, no loss of traction. I honestly think the biggest factor in driving on snow/ice is the way you drive. That's not to say I don't think tires make a difference.
So I gotta comment. 6 feet of snow in 3 days. <pause for effect> But the roads were plowed and thus, you were likely driving on 1/2 inch of snow. On the counter side, without snow tires (caught sitting outside my kindergartener's school for pickup one day when a very sudden snowstorm hit), I literally could not get up my driveway. I doubt you would have made it with all seasons either. Winter tires give you a huge advantage in the snow.

My driveway....yes, that's a fairly steep hill right after the oak tree preventing any speed before the hill starts. Never had a problem with the LGT on snows.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote