View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
wawacoffee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369299

Update: Satellite head unit and hands free phone control.

I finally picked up and finished the project I left 6 years ago and made the left side satellite remote work on my aftermarket JVC head unit. Long story short, if a satellite switch is installed on a 2013+ 4th generation Impreza or 1st gen XV, the switch should work on OEM head units because all the wires for head unit and hands free phone are pre-installed as standard. If you have an aftermarket head unit, you will need to use an interface controller such as Metra ASWC-1, and a harness supporting the remote control wires such as this listing: https://www.amazon.com/20-pin-Subaru.../dp/B01D9K3L44. Specifically, this harness contains the connection to pin 14 and 13, which are used for HU remote and hands free phone, respectively. Pin 4 is just a ground connection. See the below diagram from ASWC-1 manual and check if your HU harness has these 2 wires.

For 2011-2012 Impreza, however, the hands free phone control wire (ping 13) on the base models is missing in the OEM harness. Therefore, the very expensive harness along with ASWC-1 will only give you HU control. You can choose to use that harness and wire the phone control from the steering wheel yourself, or just use a cheap-o-harness and wire both pin 14 and 13 because add an extra wire is negligible compared with the effort to remove the steering wheel. In the following instruction, I will explain why and how you wire the control from the steering wheel directly to ASWC-1. Since I already installed the expensive harness I only did the pin 13.

First thing is you can find the full service manual for many Subaru car where I extracted the information for the work:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.ph...-Model-USDM-EU

Wiring diagram without hands free microphone (base model):

Wiring diagram with hands free microphone:

As you can see pin A13 in the i85 Audio harness is missing if there is no hands free mic pre-installed (i.e. base bodels). So here is how to add it.

Identify the harnesses:

Close up on B68:

Cut, crimp and route pin 6 (and 7 if you don't have the fancy harness) to ASWC-1 controller.

If you have any doubt, use a multimeter and the following diagram to check the resistance.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by wawacoffee; 09-14-2019 at 08:41 AM.
wawacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote