Old 09-13-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
cgroppi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Silver/Gold

I thought about it, but it's significantly more expensive than toluene or xylene. Reading the fine print shows a single can of Torco concentrate boosts 1/4 of a tank of 93 to 106. This means it will take almost a full can to boost a whole STi tank from 91 to 93 octane, if the mixing is linear. At $15/can it ain't so cheap.

With toluene or xylene, you need about 1.25 gal to raise a whole tank of 91 to 93, which costs only about $5 if bought in bulk. (you need more toluene, but it's cheaper, so the results are about the same).

Also, toluene and/or xylene will not damage your car in any way. Premium gas already has 5-10% toluene and/or xylene in it . Adding a little more, especially with some Marvel Mystery oil, is totally harmless.

The torco stuff does not say what's in it, but the only way I can think that it does what it advertises is if it has lots of MMT or other similar organometallic compounds in it. These will destroy the cats and foul the O2 sensor if used long-term. Maybe it doesn't have that stuff, but until Torco lists what is in it, I'm dubious.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cgroppi is offline   Reply With Quote