View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #10
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
555 Having a Subaru
shop means too many cars

Actually you need to thank all of the BC-BF legacy owners. Without it subaru would have NEVER been able to compete as well as they did, which was THE reason the impreza was introduced in the first place.

Now that I think about it you can thank me, I own two of the above mentioned cars and will soon own a third .

The Legacy was the FIRST GROUP N CAR TO EVER FINISH SAFARI RALLY. The impreza was only created later to improve the rally ability.

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/h...ml#subhead-001

In 1990, the first year that Subaru fully participated in a WRC, it took part in the WRC's most groueling rally, the 38th Safari Rally. Subaru entered five Group-A specification Legacy cars and one Group-N specification Legacy car. At the start of this rally, there were 59 contenders. Of these, only 10 cars made it over the unforgiving conditions to the goal in Nairobi. Despite this being the Legacy's first time in a rally, the driver, Jim Heather-Hayes, and co-driver, Anton Levitan, came in overall sixth, and Patrick Njiru and David Williamson placed eighth overall, finishing in first place in Group N. Up until that race, the harsh Safari conditions and the fact that Group N cars were permitted almost no modifications meant that cars in this class had continually failed to complete the course. That year, the Safari Rally experienced one of the worst conditions in the history of the race. Yet, for the first time ever, a Group-N car crossed the finish line.

thank you and good night.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.