Old 01-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
dnmcguire11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521692
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue

Exclamation New to the Subaru cars with issues

Just picked up a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX about 3 weeks ago with 136k.

Details of the car other then the above. Current modifications done by previous owner: Invidia turbo back exhaust, Go Fast Bits recirculating BOV, COBB access port, and a COBB electronic boost controller. What I have done is switch all lighting to LEDs with the LED flasher relay as well, brand new front Brembo brake pads, coated rotors, and 4 piston coated calipers. I have stainless steel lines front and rear ready to go on the car next.

After receiving the car, as I do with every car I buy, I go through it to ensure its sound and nothing is wrong. I have replaced oil/filer, air filter, checked tires, and the routine maintenance.

Within this time frame I have had a few issues I cannot seem to get rid of.

First being my over charging issue. Now I have don't many things to remedy this issue. I first tested my alternator and battery. Alternator was showing over charging so I went ahead and replaced that. Still showing that I was over charging. So I replaced the battery and cleaned grounds and replaced positive cable that had corrosion on it. Now it still has a over charging issue. I have done a test to rule out wiring where, while the vehicle is running, I have a volt meter on the battery which shows 15v-15.2v. Now I disconnect the alternator plug from the alternator and the voltage drops down to the regular 12.3v and will drop as the car is using the power only from the battery now. I am at a loss at what this could be other then a bad ECU/ECM or a bad tune from the previous tuner.

Second issue, when I first bought the car it had a soft pedal, softer then what I like. Try pushing about 50% pedal then getting firm soft. Now above I mentioned I replaced all front brakes including calipers. I bleed them the first time during this part change and it got worse. I would say maybe 10% worse. I bleed them during the part change doing the old push the brake pedal hold and open the bleeder. Now after a week of driving I went back and used my pressure bleeder. This resulted in ZERO air coming from the lines when I cracked them open. Now after this process I DID have a slight increase in pedal response. But it is still now where I would like it to be. With the above mention of replacing the lines with stainless steel. I hope to increase it a little more if not fix it entirely. I have not ruled out my master cylinder yet, but it is a little further down on the list.

Thank you for reading as I hope to expand my knowledge on these cars as a first time Subaru owner.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dnmcguire11 is offline   Reply With Quote