View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
RexBoostRally
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466935
Default Help!! Boost leak found. Bypass valve leaks after 6 psi. vid inside.

Been chasing an issue with not hitting boost target and tapering off to fast. Did a boost leak test without a boost gauge a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to be ok as I couldn't find any external leaks with soapy water. Didn't know how much boost I was putting in but it was obviously less than 6 psi as I found out today. Took off the top mount intercooler with the bypass valve and y pipe and throttle body couplers still attached. Put my homemade boost tester in the TB coupler and blocked off the y pipe hose end that goes on the turbo. I installed a boost gauge on my tester this time to see what was going on. Wouldn't boost to over 6 psi. from 6 psi down it would hold the boost forever until I would let it out. sprayed soapy water in the bypass valve and behold, bubbles galore. I can push down on the internal valve to help it make around 9 psi but it still slightly leaks and as soon as i let off of it with my hand it blows of back down to 6 psi.

How much boost should a stock bypass valve hold before leaking? What are my options here? Crush the top of the BP valve? Get a used wrx one? get a used sti one? Do the mod that plugs that small hole and drill out another so it holds more?

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RexBoostRally is offline   Reply With Quote